Thursday, July 5, 2007

IPhone Activation Problems

I was at a friend's 4th of July party when I was informed, as the residential tech guy, that I would be activating an IPhone. Admittedly I was a little excited to play with one. My first impression of the device was that it was very sleek, but a little heavier than I would have expected.

I attached it to a Laptop and started the process. The first step was to upgrade to ITunes 7.3. The upgrade took about 20 minutes. Once the upgrade was completed the registration process started. I was setting up the phone for new service with At&t.

I made three attempts to complete all of the information before finally giving up. All the failures were the same, they could not verify the credit of the person's credit card information I was using. I even tried two different people and credit card info. Plus they ask for the Social Security Number of the service owner!

30 out of 50 people at the party were very disappointed that the phone could not be activated and they could not play with it. The resolution seemed to involve working directly with At&t for an authorization code.

One cool thing that I did learn was that the Apple Store in Aventura Mall, FL was offering several free classes daily on IPhone usage.

No comments: