Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Tragedy of Robin Williams




O Captain! My Captain! I remember studying literature and learning about the difference between a comedy and a tragedy. Robin Williams’ life until yesterday would have seemed like a comedy. I envy people that knew him and worked with him. I can only imagine how interesting of a guy he must have been in person.

He played characters that helped shape my life. While he was a brilliant comic, it was some of his deeper roles that defined him in my eyes. A few movies that come to mind are The Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, Patch Adams, and What Dreams May Come. His characters in these movies were inspirational to me and I am sure to many others. They taught life lessons and gave meaning to our lives beyond the everyday grind that so many of us get caught up in.

Everyone has their demons. I am sad today. I want to be mad today. I watched many recaps of his life this morning on the news. I wish someone could have helped him with his demons. I wish whatever darkness was inside him could have been better dealt with. Robin Williams was 63 years old and I believe had a lot of life left in him. How could he not find happiness in the smallest things in life when he had access to the biggest things in life? One of my Uncles that passed away early in life told me if you’ve never been to the moon, you don’t know what you are missing. That is a cautionary tale to me about knowing boundaries in life and finding happiness where it exists (right in front of us!).

I cannot be mad. Instead, I want to thank Robin Williams for all that he brought to our world during his time. I look forward to watching the movies I mentioned above with my Sons when they are old enough. I want them to be inspired and grow from them as I have.

In all the kind words I have seen regarding Robin Williams in the past few hours, one of the phrases really stands out – Make God Laugh.

O Captain, my Captain, make God laugh!


No comments: